ponedeljek, 07. september 2015

Mali Lošinj

Mali Lošinj, the largest town on the Lošinj Island

Mali Lošinj is located on the southern side of the Bay of Lošinj and because of this position has become a very important commercial centre and maritime. Today is also an important tourist destination. The town dates back to the 12th century when twelve Croatian families settled in the eastern by of Saint Martin. Mali Lošinj is with 7000 inhabitants the largest town in the Adriatic.



The golden age of Mali Lošinj

The golden age for the town was the end of the 19th century when because of seafaring the small village turned into a maritime town. Due to the big chances and the maritime crisis in the area, because of passing from sail boats to stream boats, is seemed that the destiny of this city was ended. Upon discovering the health benefits of the climate, and growing of the tourism, a new beginning in the island's history was open.



Republic of Croatia Square

The main town square Republic of Croatia Square is triangular in shape and the construction of its seafront has been completed in 1926. Recently, it has been covered with stone tiles. The square served as the central stage for many events. The beautiful fountain on the square depicts two dolphins that spew fresh water coming from the Vranjsko lake. The fountain, as well as the nearby sculpture of a fisherman, where both made by master sculptor Vinko Matković from Rijeka.



The Church of the Birth of Our Lady

The Church of the Birth of Our Lady was built from 1696 to 1757 on the hill of Bardina and the field of Ravnica and its facade exemplifies the Baroque style. The church boasts an interesting and a valuable collection. It has an organ made by Venetian master Gaetano Callidi, stations of the cross are a copy of the 1747 work by Gianbattista Tiepolo and its marble altar crucifix of the Holy Cross was made by sculptor Bartolomeo Ferrari.






Ni komentarjev:

Objavite komentar